Thursday 21 March 2013

Without your wound where would your power be?

There is a story called Bethesda by Thornton Wilder that was taken from the Bible (I think John's chapter) that is about a wounded healer. 

The theme explored here, that to heal one must suffer, recurs throughout Wilder's plays and novels.
The story of Bethesda is about a Doctor who comes periodically to the pool of Bethesda. The pool of Bethesda is a healing pool. When the angel comes and disturbs the water the first man to enter the water is healed of his afflictions. Hoping to be the first in the water and healed of his melancholy the Doctor arrives very early and is first to the waters this day. The angel appears but blocks the physician at the moment he is ready to step into the pool and be healed. He cries to her that just because he is a doctor doesn't mean he doesn't need healing too. the angel tells him that without his wound he would not be as effective as a healer.

Angel: "Healing is not for you."

Physician: "Surely, surely, the angels are wise. Surely, O Prince, you are not deceived by my apparent wholeness. Your eyes can see the nets in which my wings are caught; the sin into which all my endeavors sink half-performed cannot be concealed from you."

Angel: "I know."

Physician: "Oh, in such an hour was I born, and doubly fearful to me is the flaw in my heart. Must I drag my shame, Prince and Singer, all my days more bowed than my neighbor?"

Angel: "Without your wound where would your power be? It is your very remorse that makes your low voice tremble into the hearts of men. The very angels themselves cannot persuade the wretched and blundering children on earth as can one human being broken on the wheels of living. In Love’s service only the wounded soldiers can serve. Draw back."

Later, the person who enters the pool first and was healed rejoices in his good fortune then turns to the physician before leaving and said:
"But come with me first, an hour only, to my home. My son is lost in dark thoughts. I -- I do not understand him, and only you have ever lifted his mood. My daughter, since her child has died, sits in the shadow. She will not listen to us but she will listen to you."

For me, this story has made all the difference and, because the message of this excerpt—“Without your wound where would your power be?“—carries so much meaning for me, I know that I am wounded but instead of striving for the ultimate day when I will be "all better now" I know that I can heal while Im wounded.

Bernie Siegal is a MD who did a lecture for IIN my Health Coach School. He told us that story. He says the wounded healers are the most effective healers because people know they can relate. 
He says there was a health coach who was so healthy and happy but he was having a hard time getting clients so Bernie told him to put a bandage over his eye for a week and see what happens. That week the health coach got his first 4 clients. It was because they were able to see that he understand their pain and where they are at because he suffers to. 

Here is a link about Bethesda if youre interested 

No comments:

Post a Comment